Thursday, January 7, 2010

Movie Actress of the Year

I’m not breaking any news when I say that the number of quality roles for leading ladies pales in comparison to those of men, but when these ladies get the parts they want, they run and run and run with them until they become something more golden than what the men could have done themselves. Was that long sentence? Yes it was.

• Sandra Bullock
The Proposal, All About Steve, The Blind Side

I can talk on and on about how amazing she was as a heartless Canadian editor in The Proposal or as a Southern bell with a heart of gold, but we all know which role really got her here and that’s her part as a crazy woman in All About Steve. Just kidding. That part actually hurt her a bit this year.

• Meryl Streep
Julie & Julia, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Doubt
The sad part here is that It’s Complicated didn’t make it in time for this year’s nominations, but the strength of her other roles this year are noteworthy as well. It’s no secret that I have crush on Miss Streep. She’s on my list of celebrities I can nookie with that the Doc can’t get angry with me, along with Katherine Hepburn and Jessica Rabbit.

• Amy Adams
Julie & Julia, Sunshine Cleaning, Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian, Doubt
2009 was a busy year for Amy Adams (including 2 movies with Meryl Streep) and it’s also no secret that I’ve been smitten with her since Talladega Nights, but that movie doesn’t qualify as being mentioned during deliberation, even though I still get naughty thoughts of her crawling on my dinner table like Tawny Kitaen .

• Emily Blunt
Sunshine Cleaning, Curiosity, The Young Victoria

Here’s a name you’re going to hear a lot of after 2009 and deservedly so. Emily Blunt had some strong performances this year (although I only watched Sunshine Cleaning). She’s undeniably the longshot in this category, but she also undeniably earned this nomination.

• Reese Witherspoon
Monsters Vs Aliens, Four Christmases

It takes some real acting chops to make me believe that you’re a 40-ft woman. To be honest, she’s nominated because I didn’t want to put Julia Roberts here (not even going to imdb link her). Hated Duplicity. Loved Monsters Vs Aliens. That’s enough reason to nominate Reese Witherspoon.

And the Winner Is…

Sandra Bullock!

Although it hurts me to not give this to Meryl Streep, I could not look past the record-breaking year that Sandra Bullock had. Don’t worry, Meryl. You’ll have next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment