Sunday, January 10, 2010

TV Show of the Year (Drama)

Thanks to the horrible idea of NBC to rid themselves of four slots in the usual drama hour before the news and Tonight Show, I would have thought that whittling down five nominees for this year would have been easier than writing my name in the snow after winning a dozen rounds of Drink the Beer. I couldn’t have been any more wrong than the night I decided to save time in my morning routine by peeing while taking a shower. The morning after a meal with asparagus was probably not a good first day to try that.

NCIS
I am a super fan when it comes to Gibbs and his team. From the storylines between Ziva and DiNozzo to the perfect geek coupling of McGee and Abby, I was hooked on this show ever since they killed Kate. Yeah, I hated Kate. I thought Ziva was a step down with all of her ill-attempted idioms, but then she started kicking ass and threw a knife into a dude’s chest. Yeah, I like Ziva.

Burn Notice
Aw, Michael Weston, how I wish I was like you. Every season you teach me useful information, like how to turn the trunk of my car into an x-ray machine or how to trick a Russian mob hit-man into betraying his own people. You are like the MacGuyver of our generation. Bruce Campbell’s Sam Axe is always a joy to see and Gabrielle Anwar’s Fiona Glenanne is always a really big joy to see. After killing off Karla and seeing you struggle through the new year of troubles with a swagger that only a true man could appreciate, Michael Weston, I salute you.

Lie To Me
I came into the Lie To Me show a season late, but when I convinced myself to DVR it during the middle of their second season, I watched Tim Roth’s Cal Lightman help a old buddy of his win at poker by reading people. Then I saw him get shot by a bad guy’s bodyguard and then come back up because he was able to tell that the bodyguard was actually a cop! I was shocked! After that, I was hooked. So hooked that I went and bought the first season on DVD. With hottie veteran Kelli Williams as the second-in-command and Latina hottie Monica Raymund, it's extra incentive for me to keep my eyes glued to the TV.

Castle
There’s definitely biased in this situation. Yes, I have a man crush on Nathan Fillion. Yes, I have a crush on Stana Katic. And yes, that is a roll of quarters in my pants. When it comes to dramas, I enjoy the whodunits and this definitely follows the formula of dead body, suspect, twist, new suspect, and finale. Plus, the witty repartee between Castle and Detective Beckett are more than enough to fill the antics of a sitcom.

Grey’s Anatomy
This one is for the Doc (and a little for me). Once you get passed the fact that it’s aimed at the feminine half of society, this show kicks some nice ass, figuratively speaking that is. While the ladies ogle eye candy like Patrick Dempsey and Eric Dane, the guys can just watch these dudes rock the operating table and destroy diseases like bugs. While the ladies weep and sob with the heartaches of Ellen Pompeo, Sandra Oh, and Katherine Heigl, the guys can ogle them like eye candy. It’s a win-win. Oh yeah, and was anyone else like totally feeling it when Karev helped nurse a baby back from the brink of death while suffering on the inside because Izzie totally ditched him and left him twisting in the wind as she ignored her cancer treatments

And the Winner is…
Lie To Me!

I love smug lead characters. In the same mold as House, Bones, and Big Bang Theory, Tim Roth does a successful know-it-all that can keep me entertained for an entire hour and then leave me wanting more for the next week (and buying a season’s worth of DVDs).

No comments:

Post a Comment