Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Movie Villain of the Year

Aw, the joys of evil! You may be praised for being a hero, but you have more fun being the heel. Well, at least until the hero starts to beat the snot out of you and either kill you or hangs you upside-down so that the cops can arrest you legally. Heath Ledger’s Joker in Dark Knight set the bar up really high last year. Did this year’s wide variety of villains hit the right mark like the Joker?

• Deadpool (Nolan North, Hulk Vs.)
What do you get when you mix sociopath with Wolverine and a pineapple? Well, you get a truer version of Deadpool, than what we got from X-Men Origins: Wolverine (casted perfectly, but executed wrong). In Hulk Vs Wolverine, Deadpool was done right. With the right mix of crazy, evil, and sadism, Nolan North’s portrayal is what Deadpool should have been in the live action flick. I even think this was accomplished is lesser screen time as well.

• Col. Hans Landa (Christoph Waltz, Inglorious Basterds)
This is the perfect know-it-all villain. Just when you think you’re able to outsmart him, it turns out he speaks Italian! This is the perfect villain for a Tarantino flick. How so? Well, he can talk a lot about nothing and then throw you to the ground and strangle you to death with is bare hands (one of the most cringe-worthy scenes I’ve seen that didn’t have blood in it).

• Victor “Sabertooth” Creed (Liev Schrieber, X-Men Origins: Wolverine)
When I heard that Liev Schrieber was cast as Sabertooth, I shivered a bit. Partly because I knew he could easily play evil, but mostly because he was way too undersized to be the mammoth villain that almost always bested the much smaller Wolverine. But like how Hugh Jackman made me forget about the fact that he was way too tall to play Wolverine, Schrieber was able to make me forget that he was too small to be Sabertooth. Sure, some scenes with him were over the top and campy, but overall, I was entertained.

• Galaxor (Rainn Wilson, Monsters Vs Aliens)
All Hail Rainn Wilson! If I ever make a movie about an extremely evil villain that we’re supposed to laugh at, I’d cast Rainn Wilson. As Galaxor, a purple squid-like alien mastermind, he was able to bring an ominous feeling that world may be coming to an end while also making us crack up in laughter. It’s a shame that the way it ended, Galaxor probably won’t be there for a sequel. Lame.

• Mr. Chen (Ken Jeong, The Hangover)
I was stuck between the hilarious Mr. Chen and the entire cast of Twilight: New Moon. Mr. Chen is an option because his first scene was of him jumping out of a trunk completely naked and attacking the main characters with a tire iron. The entire cast of Twilight is an option because the right people weren’t naked at all. Mr. Chen is an option because had hilarious one-liners. The entire cast of Twilight is an option because listening to them whine and moan made me want to shove a toothpick in my ear and swirl it around. Mr. Chen gets the nomination because the overall performance is noteworthy. The entire cast of Twilight, well, I don’t think I should reward that kind of evil.

And the Winner is…
Deadpool! Col. Hans Landa!

Like the Joker to Batman, Hans Landa was the perfect villain to counter Brad Pitt’s Lt. Aldo Raine. Even though I was pulling for Deadpool, I have to give props to Tarantino and Waltz for making such a deliciously devious Nazi when they could have just went in a completely different direction and made him pure evil. I recommend Inglorious Basterds because of Landa and, of course, Aldo Raine.

No comments:

Post a Comment