Sunday, January 3, 2010

TV Actress of the Year

This year’s crop of best female actresses on the small screen stretch the spectrum of characters, from a mother in the slightly lower-middle class to a mother in the slightly upper-middle class, from a police detective to a police chief. And whatever it is that you can categorize Liz Lemon… let’s just go with “crazy”.

Courtney Cox
Honestly, this is pretty much just Monica Gellar with a new set of friends and it works for me. At first, I wasn’t willing to accept it, but Courtney Cox has been able to sell it and sell it well. She knows when to turn up the crazy and turn up the dial of hotness. Few are talented enough to pull this off. David Arquette is a very lucky man.

Kyra Sedgwick
In full disclosure, I wasn’t keen on the Closer. The main reason was because of the Southern accent. For some reason, southern accents send shivers up my spine. Was it because I had watched the Texas Chainsaw Massacre around the time the show came out? Was it because the evil coach of the cheerleading team in my high school hailed from Texas? Or was it because I linked all Southern accents to a bumbling voice I heard on television trying to tell me there was a reason for invading Iraq? Anyway, thanks to the Doc, I watched the Closer and finally understand why all the critics were praising her performance. And I’m even working on that whole Southern accent fear (I’m currently working on twangs, Louisiana French, and Miami surfers).

Tina Fey
The show is extremely hilarious and she’s the catalyst for it all. For a roll that was catered to her, she was able to send it to the stratosphere. She lost the Emmy to Toni Collette, but thanks to my frugalness, I don’t pay beyond extended cable.

Jaime Pressley
From a show that gets almost all the accolades to a show that almost always gets snubbed, Jaime Pressley’s delivery of snarky one-liners and devil-may-care attitude has been golden. I was even able to be completely distracted from the Southern accent. She’s one hell of an actress to make me forget about my fears.

Stana Katic
I’ll admit it. This is a stretch, but I’ve been watching a lot of Castle and also watched the horrible mistake called The Spirit. In both instances, I enjoyed the performance of Stana Katic. She may not be a household name right now (I’m not even sure how to pronounce it), but she’ll be really famous in the future. I mean like Rene Russo in the 90’s famous.

And the Winner is…

Tina Fey!

This is usually the part of the awards where I explain my choice for winner or say something in a vain attempt at humor. There’s no reason for explain this choice. So I’ll go for humor. Um… Crap! I’m drawing a blank. This is so embarrassing.

Um, knock, knock!
(Who’s there?)
Hal!
(Hal who?)
Halitosis!

That wasn’t funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment